May 11, 2015 § 1 Comment
or, I’m in Synopsis-Writing Hell. Liquor isn’t helping.
May 11, 2015
Not to say that I didn’t try, though.
I finished my latest round of manuscript cuts a few days ahead of schedule. The next step was to rewrite my synopsis. This is how I made the best use of my time advantage:
1. Took a few days off from even looking at the damn thing. Fiddled with the NaNoWriMo draft instead. Went to see Avengers: Age of Ultron. Told myself I’ll start the synopsis on Sunday.
2. On Sunday morning thought to myself, “Gah. It’s Sunday already? I so do not want to work on the synopsis. Besides, Not That Kind of Girl is due at the library tomorrow. Spend the day reading that instead. I’ll start the synopsis on Monday.”
3. Monday I remembered I am also supposed to be planning my new website. Why start off a Monday doing something hard like a synopsis? I spent the morning looking at authors’ websites for ideas instead.
4. Tuesday I exported my manuscript outline from Scrivener to a .csv file and then to Excel so I can use it to rework the synopsis. Great start. Then I left early to take the car in for the oil change in case the carpool to the Claudia Rankine event in Santa Fe fell through. (It didn’t.)
5. Just wasn’t feeling the synopsis writing on Wednesday. I spent my morning hour looking at other author sites again.
6. I slept in on Thursday on account of getting to bed so late the night before after going to the Claudia Rankine event. No time to work on the synopsis even if I wanted to. I didn’t.
7. Friday. It hit me that a whole week had gone by. Panic fluttered in my stomach. I wrote down in my planner “I don’t even want to look at my f***ing synopsis.”
But I did it anyway. It was not quite as horrific as I thought it was going to be. It needs all kinds of work, though.
All kinds of work.
I’d rather watch the birds.
April 7, 2015 § 2 Comments
February 23, 2015 § 1 Comment
February 23, 2015
I need more sleep. The panic attacks are increasing in frequency. I’m two weeks behind on my self-imposed reading regimen. The work I’ve been doing on my NaNoWriMo project has just been brainstorming plot hole fixes and fleshing out back stories, nothing that feels constructively creative, and that is making me antsy.
It’s time to hunker down and stick to my writing schedule again. For real.
Plus, one of my car tires has a slow leak. I need to get a new stove. There is a creaky pipe somewhere in the house. I’m feeling kind of like Robert Johnson in “Malted Milk.”
My door knob keeps on turning
It must be spooks around my bed
Which reminds me of one more thing I gotta do: stock up on Vodka.
August 27, 2014 § 1 Comment
August 27, 2014
I’m going to be taking a brief hiatus from blogging in order to get some manuscript changes done to submit to an agent. Eeeep! I know what I’ll be doing over Labor Day weekend.
While munching apples. After years, the dwarf apple tree by my back door, the tree I never water and that has primarily served as a decent screen between me and my neighbor’s bedroom window and a hangout for the birds, has actually yielded a bowl of apples! I felt like a little kid picking these off the branches.
Talk to you some time after Labor Day!